Sunday 5 May 2013

Almaty almost alone


My companions of the last ten weeks took an apartment in Bishkek and I envy them a little their semi-settling. A month or two off cycling to teach English and upset discos, their trips rather longer than mine. I left, having fitted the new and nimble tyres and jettisoned my Winter gear, a little maudlin. Head full of yesterday's Tanqueray and today's yet-again goodbyes, to ride into Kazakhstan and landscapes that actually really resemble those of a year ago along the German Elbe. But for the near river there and the far mountains here it could've been the same place; the same Poppies, Cowslip, and little blue ones (some distant, steppe-relative to the Blue Bell perhaps, are they out yet?) amongst that singular green. In a sense it is the same place, alone again and moving steadily into Summer. Assuming Siberia has one.

There's a useful website which gives decent-road distances for truckers. Latvian, I think. Anyway it says I've got almost four thousand miles to get to Beijing by my preferred route. Preference is relative of course, there's just one trans-Siberian highway; apparently the plague-like skeeters and toothy horseflies let off a little just East of Novosibirsk, around where the swamps dry out. Beset by doubts is a little strong, but it feels a daunting long way in three months. I'm vainly spurred (not only) by the thought of a good line on the map.

Yesterday a restaurateur invited me for everything he had, a feast gratis. Soup and bulgur, horsemeat and potato, side salad and cheese platter before the chocolates and halva. With everybody watching I ate clumsily. Later somebody flagged me down with a gift of cakes and I camped undisturbed in a wildflower meadow to watch nesting crows on a pink sky; snowcapped Kyrgyz mountains lit cool blue and long across the view. It felt a perfect day bicycling. Breaking camp this morning I stood on my Kindle, breaking it. An hour later my headphones fell into the front wheel and in a morning I'm rid of reading and music. Perhaps Almaty has English paperbacks; there seems to be everything else. The road stinks of money, gas cash; killing the apples, I read. But a welcoming place. My Couchsurf cancelled last minute so I did my Iranian trick of advertising my phone number as an event, to be besieged by invitations. I took the second of several and find myself immediately in company for barbeques and artsy stuff; a studio to sleep in as long as you like.  I'll be here a few days for that Mongolian visa.

Bishkek









Kazakhstan









Almaty


2 comments:

  1. 4000 miles eh? You'd do that in a week back in Iran, what's your beef now? ;-)
    Maybe you could carry my cycling dreams with you as in 3 months in India I've clickede up under 500 miles!
    Strong target, but you can do that. Long days, flat roads, get a tail wind and a couple of hundred miler days here and there and you'll nail it, nay bother pal
    Shame about the kindle.
    Headphones you'll get anywhere
    Maybe it's a cosmic message to get you to enjoy yourself and the silence. 'know thyself'
    Big big biggy big love and respect to ya Kaleb, go boldly in the directions of your dreams and all that
    X


    ReplyDelete
  2. time to learn Russian and get reading some pulp! ;-)
    I'm sure you'll be able to pick up something cheap and electronic in China as a plan b though.
    bluebells are OUT as is summer and burnt legs aplenty x

    ReplyDelete